Low FODMAP Lemon Zucchini Bread
One of my favorite things to do is finding a normal recipe that looks yummy and then FODMAPifying it (probably not a real word). I enjoy the satisfaction of making a delicious, low FODMAP meal or treat and I'm not very creative so it isn't often that I invent my own recipes. This original recipe came from a Glazed Lemon Zucchini Bread recipe published by Lil' Luna. It didn't need too many modifications, even though gluten free baking can be a bit of a challenge.
2 cups All Purpose Gluten Free Flour (I used Bob's Red Mill 1-to-1)
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup sugar (the original called for 1 1/3 cup but I think this was plenty sweet)
2 TB lemon juice
1/2 cup homemade "buttermilk"- *see below
Zest of 1 lemon
1 cup grated zucchini, loosely packed
1/2 cup powdered sugar (the original called for 1 cup)
1/2 TBSP lemon juice (you can add more if not lemony enough)
1/2 TBSP Lactose free milk or nondairy alternative
* The original recipe called for buttermilk and since this is high in lactose, I made my own lactose free version. Just add 1 TBSP white vinegar to 1/2 cup lactose free or non-dairy alternative milk. Let sit for about 5 minutes. It should get thicker.
1) Mix flour, salt and baking powder in a medium bowl and set aside.
2) In a large bowl, beat eggs together with oil and sugar until well blended. Add lemon juice, "buttermilk", lemon zest and blend all together.
3) Fold in zucchini.
4) Add dry mixture 1 cup at a time to wet mixture and blend until well combined.
5) Pour batter into a well greased 9x5 loaf pan.
6) Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes.
7) While the bread is still warm, mix glaze ingredients together and spoon over bread. Glaze should set before cutting and serving.
This makes 7-8 servings depending on how thick you cut the slices.
Stay tuned for more low FODMAP recipe conversions in my blog!